Wednesday, February 1, 2012

A Milo is born

Kelly and I headed to Germantown Methodist Hospital around lunch on Monday. We were to show up at 12:30pm for a scheduled c-section at 2:30pm. I felt prepared, but was a ball of nerves....and very hungry :). When, they hooked me up to the monitor, I was already having contractions. I think it was the anxiety. I was laying there as they were taking blood work and I could not get comfortable.

As I headed back to the operating room, I was more nervous than I was when I delivered Jude. Life just seems so much more precious and fragile after you have your first baby. I realize how much Jude relies on me.... and to have a major operation while my little boy waited for me...made me scared. Luckily, our good friends Nick and Ashely had called their family friend, Shelley, to be my CRNA. When they rolled me into the OR, she already knew my name, about my family, and helped me with my breathing and shaking. Everyone in the OR kept talking to me, asking me all kinds of questions. I just did not want to talk or even open my eyes. I told Shelley "I'm really nervous, I just want to close my eyes right now." She said OK and helped me relax. With my eyes closed, and me prep-ed for surgery, Kelly was allowed to enter the room. He immediately grabbed my hand, and I immediately relaxed. He knew that I just needed quiet, just needed his presence. Soon after the operation started, silence was broken with a beautiful loud cry. Music to a new Mother's ears.

Milo Zachery Johnson came into the world at 3:08pm. And he was not happy about being taken from the comfort of his Mommy's tummy. All the nurses were laughing and joking about how he had one of the loudest cries they had every heard. Healthy Johnson lungs! He was absolutely perfect. 7lbs, 9oz and 20 inches long. Kelly went over and watched as they did his stats and he would relay them to me. He told me..."he has really big hands!" Oh sweet Milo... you do have big hands... and long lashes...and beautiful lips. 

Usually for C-sections, they do not let you have the baby until a couple hours after the procedure and you are settled into your room. Well, that was not going to fly with this momma. So, Kelly and I used our persuasive skills to allow them to let me hold and nurse Milo right after he was born. I was so grateful to have him immediately in my arms. It was pure heaven. He nursed wonderfully and finally settled down once he was nice and bundled with his Momma.  We just stared at each other. Love at first sight. There is truly nothing like it.

Put me back!
Nice to meet you
What are they doing to me!?!
Still a little grumpy...
That's much better...


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful birthing story, I had never heard it before or seen the photos. x

    ReplyDelete