Wednesday, December 22, 2010

WE DID IT

My best friend, Audra and I decided to run the St. Jude Half Marathon. For those of you who don't know...that is 13.1 miles. We signed up several months before the race with full intention of training like Jillean Micheals and kicking some A**. Well, we both also have handsome, but time consuming baby boys who proved to be hard to push in a jogging stroller. And as for me, if the sun isn't hanging just right in the sky, I will find an excuse not to run. It's a flaw, I know, but we all have to have one flaw.....right?. Basically, the farthest training run I hadwas 6 miles. There is a BIG difference between running 6miles and 13.1 miles. However, my bestie was flying in from Boston and despite our lackluster training, we decided to run the race. And by "we" I mean "Audra". I was up for Plan B: considering the race fee a donation and drinking wine at Jim's Place Grill. However, Audra is as good as gold. She insisted that we approach our near death with courage.

D-Day- Saturday December 4th. We woke up bright and early and headed towards downtown Memphis. As the 8am race time appraoched and the crowds lined up at the start line, I began to get excited. And a little after 8am, we were off! We were filled with the energy of all the runners and started off at a great pace. As we apprached mile 4, I saw my cute baby sitting on my husband's shoulders and Mimi standing beside them. Jude watching his mommy run gave be great inspiration to keep going! Then around Mile 5 another shot of adrenaline, we ran thru St. Jude campus. We were high-fiving survivors, kids who were still undergoing treatment, and employees. It was so awesome! As we were just about to leave St. Jude campus we saw my dad, my step-mom, and my step sister cheering us on. I felt great!

Running Thru St. Jude campus

Then came, "the pain", at around mile 8.5. My knee was killing me and I was running low on fuel. Audra and I picked up some Gu and water at mile 9, which I thought would help. But, I thought wrong. I kept telling myself....anyone can run 4 more miles? right? right? The rest of the race was a blur...as I was slipping in and out of consciousness. My hamstrings started cramping at mile 11 and my dear friend Audra pulled me thru to the finish!

Me & Audra at the finish

After the race, our families met us at the finish and our little boys were so proud of their mommies. Kelly parked in a parking garage with a 1o% incline, so the walk to the car was interesting. My foot really started to hurt, so I took off my shoe to find the biggest blister you have ever seen. Not joking, dead serious. I'm debating whether to post a pic becuase of the "ick" factor, so I think I will spare you. The funny thing is I didn't feel the blister the entire race because other parts of my body hurt worse. After the great blister discovery of 2010, it went Car>Milanos Pizza>Bath Tub>Bed.

Sebastian & Audra and Jude & me

In the end, I am so incredibly happy that we did it! I have ran several races before, but this was by far the best race I have ever completed. I was able to run with my best friend of 11 years, girl talking, laughing and encouraging each other. And, I was able to complete a long distance in honor of all the kids who despite their sickness...still manage to smile. This will definitely not be the last time I run the St. Jude Half Marathon. However, it will be the last time I do not attequately train. Lesson learned....the hard way. Love to all!- Anna

2 comments:

  1. awwwww!! I LOVE this post! You are too hard on yourself though. You were a powerhouse!!! The race was truly an amazing experience. We really encouraged each other, laughed and talked the entire 13.1 and I wouldn't have had it any other way or with any other person. Such a sweet memory for me. We must do it again. I LOVE you so much honey!!! Thank you for being my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you girls had the BEST time! Anna...seriously I think you missed your calling at a writer! Your tone, jokes and stories are great...you tell them that I can picture it all!

    PS...I wanted to see the picture of the blister! Call me crazy but you can email it to me :-)

    ReplyDelete